Rear hopper has large 300-L (8.5-bu) capacity and is easy to empty
The large-capacity, rear-mounted hopper makes collecting grass and leaves easy. The rear design allows excellent maneuverability when mowing.
The 300-L (8.5-bu) capacity hopper holds a lot of material for longer mowing times between emptying. Emptying the hopper is easily accomplished from the operator’s seat.
The durable plastic bottom will last a long time, even when operating in rougher conditions.
When the hopper is full, a light on the dash will come on and an audible alarm will sound, to alert the operator to disengage the power take-off (PTO).
- When there is enough material in the hopper to activate the sensing switch, it simultaneously turns on the dash-mounted hopper full indicator light and an audible alarm.
- This reduces the potential for plugging the system.
- The hopper must be full, with enough material to activate the hopper-full switch, to activate the hopper-full indicator and alarm.
The hopper is emptied by pulling up, then forward, on the hopper handle. Using the leverage of the long handle, pull forward hard enough to overcome the spring-loaded hopper latch and rotate the hopper upward.
The hopper latch is easily adjustable for operator preference and conditions:
- The spring can be located in any of three holes.
- More latching effort is required for hilly or rough operating conditions.
The hopper is easily removed from the tractor by using the rear handle to raise the back of the hopper 25 degrees, or about 13 cm (5 in.), and then using both handles to lift the hopper vertically out of the notches in the mounting brackets:
- No tools are required.
- There is nothing to disconnect.
When the hopper is removed from the tractor, it allows use of additional tractor features including:
- Optional rear deflector
- Optional mulch plug
- Rear implement hitch
- Tow-release lever
When the hopper is removed, a safety interlock switch will prevent the mower deck from operating unless the rear deflector or mulch plug is installed, however the engine will run and the tractor will operate so the rear hitch can be used.
92-cm (36-in.) Rear-Discharge Rear-Collect Mower Deck cuts clean
The innovative design of the 92-cm (36-in.) Edge™ Rear-Discharge Deck combines the best features for reliability and superior performance when mowing and collecting grass and leaves:
- The mower deck is stamped from 12-gauge, 2.7-mm (0.105-in.) steel to provide smooth contours for a quality appearance and excellent performance.
- With no side-discharge chute, the mower can trim on either side for mowing efficiency and convenience.
- A smaller storage area requirement is an additional benefit.
- A standard V-belt and non-timed blade design gives superior reliability and trouble-free operation.
- Offset mower blades permit blade overlap with the use of a standard V-belt drive.
- The blades cut cleanly without being able to contact each other.
- A heavy-duty V-belt and large spring-loaded idler pulley transfer power to the mower blades efficiently and reliably.
- Cut-height increments of 0.64 cm (0.25 in.) allow for operating the mower at the optimum cutting height.
- A quick-adjust deck-leveling system is provided to make keeping the deck properly adjusted easy.
The underside of the mower deck is contoured and free of obstructions to ensure optimum cutting and bagging performance:
- Grass clippings flow smoothly around the deck and up the chute into the hopper.
- Clipping buildup is minimized to ensure continued high-performance and easy cleanup.
- Special discharge blades (standard equipment) have a large wing to propel grass clippings up the chute and into the hopper.
- Mower fills and packs the 300-L (8.5-bu) hopper with a large volume of grass clippings and/or leaves.
Exceptional mowing and bagging performance begins with the deep-deck design of the mower. The deck is 100-mm (3.9-in.) deep at the front and grows even deeper from front to rear to create a smooth transition into the chute.
A wash port is provided on the mower deck. It can be used to supply water to the underside of the mower deck so it can be easily cleaned after use:
- Wash port is designed for hose quick-connect fitting.
- Connect hose and operate the mower to clean.
- Using the wash port cleans bottom of deck and chute.
- Wash port works best if used immediately after the mowing job is completed.
- Operating the mower deck while the water is running removes grass clippings.
- Use of the wash port prevents buildup of material from affecting performance the next time the mower is used.
NOTE: A hose-end adapter for the appropriate water hose to be used can be purchased locally for connection to the wash port.
Optional rear deflector (BG20822) easily installs in place of hopper:
- No tools required for installation
- Deflects clippings in an even pattern behind the tractor
Optional mulch plug (BG20698) easily installs in place of hopper:
- When collecting grass clippings and leaves is not desired, a mulch plug and mulching blades are available. The rear hopper can be easily removed and the mulch plug installed.
- Plug closes off opening on bottom of deck so material cannot enter the chute.
- Special mulch blades are provided to optimize mulching performance.
- The mulching blades will also provide excellent performance when used with the rear-discharge deflector and good performance for collecting. If collecting in heavy or wet conditions, it may be necessary to reinstall the standard bagging blades for optimum performance.
Reverse implement option (RIO) allows operator to mow while backing up if deemed necessary
Mowing while backing up is strongly discouraged.
The operator who deems it necessary to keep the mower (or other implement) engaged while backing up should first bring the tractor to a stop and look behind the tractor to be sure there are no bystanders. Then actuate (push in) the RIO button. The RIO button must be held down in the reverse implement position as the shift lever is moved into reverse (reverse foot pedal is depressed on models with a hydrostatic transmission).
The operator may then release the button and the mower will continue to operate while backing up and also when resuming forward operation. This procedure must be repeated the next time the operator chooses to keep the mower engaged while backing up. If the mower power take-off (PTO) is engaged and the operator shifts into reverse or depresses the reverse pedal prior to pressing the RIO button, ignition to the engine will be shut off. The engine will stop unless the operator either pushes on the RIO switch or shifts out of reverse.
If the engine does stop, the operator must return the mower engagement (PTO) switch or lever to the off position, depress the brake pedal, and then turn the ignition switch to restart the engine.
Serviceability features are designed-in to save time and effort
Serviceability is designed-in to save time and effort. The hopper is easily removed:
- Use the rear handle to raise the back of the hopper 25 degrees, or about 13 cm (5 in.); then using both handles, lift the hopper vertically out of the notches.
- No tools are required.
- There is nothing to disconnect.
- With the hopper removed, cleaning the hopper or the grass chute is easy.
A tow-release lever is provided for moving the tractor without the engine running.
An hourmeter with service-reminder feature is provided for convenience in keeping the tractor and mower properly serviced:
- The hourmeter shows the number of hours the engine has run.
- The service reminder will indicate that a general lubrication or mower/engine service interval has been reached.
- When service is required, the service reminder will flash for one hour.
- Follow the service timetable in the operator’s manual.
Hood opens for convenient access to important service areas.
Controls are easy to find and convenient to use
Instruments and controls
The contoured dash is functional and attractive:
- The hourmeter makes it easy to tell when oil changes and other maintenance should be performed.
- Controls are color-coded and labeled for easy identification by the operator.
- Controls are logically placed and easy to reach.
- The functional design of the controls provides a good appearance and comfortable feel.
Mower deck height adjustment
A spring-assisted, low-effort lift lever simplifies setting and adjusting the mower cut height:
- Increments of 0.64-cm (0.25-in.) allow the operator to fine-tune the cut height.
Two side-by-side pedals control the speed and direction of travel:
- Automotive-type accelerator control ensures easy operation.
- The operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
- Large pedal surface gives superior operator comfort.
Manual power take-off (PTO) control lever
The mower deck is engaged with the yellow lever on the dashboard. Its placement on the right side leaves the left, entry side of the tractor unobstructed.
Parking brake control
The parking brake control is conveniently located for easy access. It holds the brake pedal securely in the locked position.
Operator station designed for comfortable operation
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and easy operation:
- Controls are positioned where they are easy to reach and use to control the tractor
- The steering wheel is positioned and angled to give the operator plenty of room and steering comfort
- The seat is tilted back at the optimum angle to provide the most comfortable operator position
Controls are easy to see and use:
- Large, three-spoke steering wheel provides greater operator comfort and control.
- Controls are color-coded for easy recognition.
- An hourmeter makes it easy to tell when oil changes and other maintenance should be performed.
Wide footrest areas with non-slip, anti-vibration floor mats are provided for operator comfort and safety.
- Optimum operator comfort
- Debris removing channels help keep the footrest area clean and dry
Operator seat can be easily adjusted forward or backward while on the seat, with seat travel of 140 mm (5.5 in.) and 10 different positions.
Seat can be tilted forward for protection from the weather and to provide easy access to the fuel tank. Seat springs give a smoother ride.
A beverage holder is located on the right fender for operator convenience.
Full-length welded steel frame for reliability
The solid one-piece frame is constructed of 12-gauge, 2.7-mm (0.105-in.) steel:
- Full-length robotically welded frame has high-strength steel rails for superior reliability and long life.
- One-piece fender deck is bolted to the frame.
Hydro/automatic drive gives an infinite choice of ground speeds
A Kanzaki® Tuff Torq® hydrostatic transmission gives an infinite choice of speeds and makes changing the direction of travel easy. Side-by-side foot pedals control the speed and direction of travel:
- Automotive-type accelerator control ensures easy operation.
- Operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
A Kanzaki Tuff Torq hydrostatic transmission is used. It has the performance requirements to ensure excellent performance and reliability.
Kanzaki and Tuff Torq are trademarks of Kanzaki Kokyukoki Manufacturing Company.
Powerful engine features full-pressure lubrication for dependability and long life
A 7.59 kW at 3350 rpm single-cylinder engine has plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions:
- Electronic ignition for fast starts
- Cast-iron liner for long engine life
- Overhead valves for excellent power and fuel economy
- Anti-vibration system
- Full-pressure lubrication and oil filter for cleaner oil, prolonging engine life and extending the time between oil changes
- Also more effective when operating the tractor on an incline
- Large fuel filter for trouble-free operation
No-tools oil-drain valve is easy to access when changing the engine oil.
Request a Quote
Error, ensure all information is entered
Your content has been submitted
The information on this page is correct at time of publish and as per John Deere Aus. We reserve the right to change content at any time without prior notice. For more information please contact us.
Last Updated :
November 29,2018 10:23:35 Central Standard Time